What is Prenatal Yoga or Pregnancy Yoga? Practicing prenatal yoga is one of the best ways to keep fit during pregnancy because it incorporates, movement, breath, and awareness. All of three of these aspects are needed during a mother’s birthing journey.
Medical experts at the Mayo Clinic have even touted prenatal yoga as “a multifaceted approach to exercise that encourages stretching, mental centering and focused breathing.”
Prenatal yoga offers multiple benefits:
- Keep you feeling good and your mind in balance through a full body workout
- Create mindfulness around breathing in preparation for labor and delivery
- Minimize discomfort of pregnancy through various prenatal yoga poses
- Learn poses that can help move labor and delivery along
- Meet other moms-to-be for a sense of community and sisterhood
- Reduce the risk of gestational diabetes
- Offers and opportunity for self care during pregnancy
Full Circle Yoga KC offers prenatal yoga classes that support a mother’s pregnancy journey. In our prenatal classes we practice mindfulness in breathing, bring awareness to our changing bodies, and offer movement for a full body workout.
Some Prenatal Yoga poses that are helpful include:
- cat/cow- helps alleviate lower back pain by dropping baby forward. This is also a wonderful pose during early labor.
- Squat- alleviates hip discomfort and opens and strengthens hips in preparation for birth
- Goddess-works the pelvic floor